Saturday 1st August
Warm but cloudy day on runway 21. The alto-cu/stratus broke up to allow a period of soarable weather with max cloubase reported at 3000 feet. We operated K21 LRT and the K13 for check flights and the K23 was busy all day. Good to see some more members being checked and re-soloed to expand the pool of people able to fly. Those Instructors doing the 2-seat flying are starting to get more comfortable with the new arrangements.
Aerotowing w/c 27 July
Sorry to say, no Eurofox tug this next week as it is poorly and going for recuperation. Hopefully it will be back the following week. If the weather looks really promising I shall see if we can get another tug in.
Instead of emailing all members like this, please check this website from time-to-time for any update on aerotowing this next week and for subsequent weeks. It’s also useful to use Whats App to check.
Wednesday 22nd - another fantastic day
The forecast for Wednesday was not as optimistic locally as previous days but that didn't stop a few private gliders being towed early. The tug going U/S dampened their enthusiasm though and some decided to call it a day.
The Wednesday team were out in force and despite some early winch problems managed to get some check flights under way with various simulated launch failures being undertaken.
In addition it was Elliot's 14th birthday and he has been working towards first solo for a while. The recent lockdown had put a stop to further progress but thankfully two seater flying was relaxed early enough for him to knock the rust off. Under the watchful eye of Geoff Dixon he flew his first solo at lunchtime during which he proudly managed to take a thermal climb. A second flight drew the day to an end for him as the wind increased. Congratulations to Elliot and all those who achieved something this week and a big thank you to the instructors who have helped to make this happen.
A Fantastic few days!
Over Sunday to Tuesday we experienced some of the best flying days for some time. Club pilots recorded 12 flights of over 300km which included 4 flights of over 500km and 2 over 750km. The conditions on Tuesday were especially good with thermals up to 6500 ASL which also meant some airspace challenges! The views along the south coast of the convergence were amazing and fun for those that used it on tasks to the Brighton area.
Ben and Austin also used the conditions to gain their silver distances and part 1 of the 100km diploma with Austin also claiming his silver height, well done to both.
Thanks to Adrian and Robin for the aerotows, a few rest days now but hope for better conditions next week.
Aerotows 20 to 24 July
Aerotow booking next week:
DGR / chairman
Big thanks to all who helped on Sunday....no matter in what capacity. We managed to get a sizeable grid away by 1230 and kept winch launching going throughout, despite some equipment problems. Mentions in despatches for Doug on the winch and Adrian in the tug.
Aerotows 13 to 17 July
Aerotow booking at:
Please note the tug is not available on Friday 17 July until about 13.30 hrs.
Aerotowing booking for 6 to 10 July
Please book your aerotow plans for next week at:
The CFI has informed members in the last day or so of progress to the finalisation of plans to re-start dual occupancy two seater flying for check flights / refreshers and instructional flights. We’ll communicate again as soon as those plans are activated, so as to give everyone a chance to book aerotows. Arrangements for dual occupancy two-seat winch launching will also be communicated a.s.a.p.
Aerotow booking for 29 June to 3 July
Please book your aerotow plans for next week at:
After a few days of low hot blue conditions the Skysight forecast suggested a late start and early cut off but with a high cloudbase and cumulus. I think it got everything right except the early cutoff as it was still working into the evening. I think I counted 9 gliders that flew, tasks were set to match the forecast, Doug Gardner completed a 300 while the Nimbus(Jon Huband) and Arcus chased each other around a 258km task, my highlight was getting to over 6500' over Marlborough, Doug and Andy reported high climbs as well. Looks like the next few days are not as good.
Thanks to Adrian and Robin for the tows.
Aerotows w/c Monday 22 June
All members wishing to aerotow must book not less than 14 hours ahead of each day’s start of flying so that the CFI can monitor pilots when there is no duty instructor available. Local tug pilot contact details on Doodle page.
Aerotows w/c Monday 15 June
The Doodle poll for booking aerotows for next week (w.c 15 June) is at
Aerotows and winching from 6th June
Please go to the link below to indicate if you wish to or are likely to want an aerotow with the Dynamic tug (G-LXAA) between 6 and 12 June.
The second link below is for winch launches
This coming weekend the weather may preclude flying but if you think you will be allowed to winch launch solo then please sign up so we can judge likely demand. Being allowed to launch on the winch is a matter for the instructor’s judgement on your level of experience, knowledge, ”recency” and other factors such as whether you managed to complete satisfactorily a winter refresher flight or flights before the lockdown. Even if you haven’t done a winter refresher flight it may not preclude you from winching solo. It is a good preparation to re-read the BGA’s “Safe winching” booklet as well as other useful guidance from the BGA. Start at
Without a course instructor and winch driver on weekdays and certainly at weekends from Saturday 6 June we need volunteers to operate launching, allowing for minimal changes of personnel during a day due to the needs of anti-virus contamination measures. Without the volunteers to operate winching there cannot be any flying other than aerotow and self-launching.
But before you can fly you must have read the revised Operations Manual on the Club’s website (go to http://www.cotswoldgliding.co.uk/members/ and click on the ‘documents’ link under ‘information’ section on the left) and have signed (through the link at the top of the members' area page) your acknowledgement of having read it. In addition, the CFI and Safety Officer (and I) require everyone to read the document attached to the email sent out on 4th June to everyone, concerning precautions against Covid-19 for solo winch launching. This is vitally important.
I am working on a more extensive communication to come to you in the next few days.
Safe flying !
Aerotow bookings 1 to 5 June
Booking "Doodle" is now open at
Please remember to make any amendments if necessary to this after initial booking. To edit your entry hold the cursor on the right side of your name to see the edit icon.
If on the evening before there are fewer than 5 pilots wanting to fly we may have to cancel to avoid our tug pilot driving a round trp of 140 miles. In that event we'll try to let you know on the evening before.
Aerotowing Saturday and Sunday 30-31 May
I have added Saturday and Sunday to the "Doodle" booking page at the link below for W/C 25 May.
What do you call a line op of 29 Ka13s?
Here is a superb picture of the line-up of Ka13s at the annual Ka13 task week at St Crepin in the French Alps.
Flying w/c Monday 25 May - pre- book
Please go to
if you want to take an aerotow during week Monday 25th to Friday 29th May.
If you wish subsequently to cancel, please log on to the Doodle link and delete your booking
Thanks / DGR
Flying 23 and 24 May - pre-book
if you want to take an aerotow on Saturday 23rd and / or Sunday 24th May
Aerotowing on Wednesday 20th May
An email has been sent to all members with details of how to book an aerotow for this coming Wednesday
DGR / chairman
Aerotows Sunday 17th May
Please see the email Saturday evening 16th May about aerotowing on Sunday 17th May. To fly you need to email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can guage demand,