Flying weather forecast today means .... ?
Met office aviation forecast is showing 310deg / 30-45kts at midday which suggests best to cancel the trial lessons (which I'm in the process of doing) but waiting to see if it calms down for Club flying. We'll get the kit out and DI'd in case we get a weather opportunity but I'm not that optimistic - so if you make the journey, be prepared for some "out-and-returns" to the kettle and maybe an early scrub.
Saturday December 8th the end
Well we managed three flights. All safely back in the hangar now.
Mind you, the sun has just come out again.... I wonder?
Saturday December 8th
Strong winds and forecast rain have not stopped us getting the kit out.
Let's see what happens
Sunday 25th November
A useful training day, especially for Tom Knight of UWE who went solo, seen here being congratulated by his instructor.
Sunday November 18th
Cleanup day for the DG500 trailer
Following its trip to Sutton bank for the Juniors winter series round one a group of UWE students and explorer scouts decided to give the big trailer a jet wash. It wasn't just dirt from the A1 that they had to scrub off! Well done guys.
If anyone else wants to wash their trailer or a club one we have a club jet wash which is available for you to use. If you don't know how to wash a trailer there is a training course available.
Photographs by Jerome Semichon
Sunday 18th November
After their display on Saturday evening, the two motor gliders departed around 0800 for Hus Bos after a runway beat up. With a brisk 16-18 knot easterly forecast, the operation was set up on 09. The first couple of flights were into poor visibility so with the conditions, a limited operation and a good number of UWE students to fly we decided to cancel the trial lessons for the day. It did improve later and some had extended flights but it was cold! We were glad of the hot soup and rolls available in the clubhouse after packing the kit away.
Thanks to everyone that helped.
Saturday 17th November
I was pleased I’d flossed my teeth this morning – on the One Day Course were Dentist Martin and Dental Technician Andrew. They were good sports and didn’t mind a bit being turned upside down on their last flights. Club members Philippa Roberts and Andrew Mugleston were getting married today down the road in Tetbury (I heard Philippa had a puncture going down the aisle, but I'm sure that’s not true). We wish them a long and happy life together – it ain't going to be dull. Luckily the weather gods got the memo and the clouds cleared around 11.00 to give a sunny if somewhat chilly day. We had a good day’s flying off the west end of the cross runway – there was even a bit of lift about. Many thanks to the UWE students and others for washing the DG500 trailer and to Dave Howell , Pete Laws and Stuart Thackray for driving the winch.
Wednesday November 14th
An excellent day's flying yesterday with a stiff breeze in the morning moderating to allow a few pilots a little soaring. The longest flight of the day was John Docherty's 14 minutes in LRT.
We hope to be flying again on Friday, do come along and join the fun.
Sunday 11 November
A small band of enthusiasts and helpers turned up including Tim Brailsford, all the way from Staffordshire. We had a good day with sunshine, mostly blue skies, some thermals, no rain and winds 220 / 20-25kts giving cracking launches for the 2 x Ka 21 and Ka 23 on the line. The head-on sun in the afternoon made landing alongside R/W 21 slightly tricky. Several trial lesson visitors enjoyed their flights and a Bristol University 3rd year aeronautical engineering lady student (“Georgie”), who is Silver C level and currently flying at Nympsfield, dropped in to see our operation. She left duly impressed, and we hope to see more of her.
Tim Brailsford last week gained his helicopter pilot’s licence, which will make his round trip from home in Staffs easier if more expensive (!). But the main good news today was seeing Adam Mayo back in action flying with instructors Darren and Simon, following his serious biking accident in Switzerland in the summer and subsequent hospitalisation for head injuries. He has made such good progress we are all relieved he’s fully on the mend and will be able to take up his role as a valued member of the active student / youth contingent at the Club.
Monday evening the wind increased so much that a trip to airfield was required to re position the Gliders left out overnight.
Tuesday 23rd was as forecast, 25kt winds and gusts of 40kts or more. All except Christoph decided that the rewards did not justify the risk and we would not fly.
Christoph self launched in his DG400, reaching 1000ft in the length of the airfield, looking more like a helicopter than a Glider. He managed a max climb in weak wave to 3000ft, spending as much time going backwards over the ground as he did forward. He made a safe landing a couple of hours later and we all retired for food.
Wednesday had promise, some the locals were up and away early aero towing or self launching into the hills. The rest including us waiting for the cloud to lift off the hill enough to enable us to launch, by 10 am the cloud started to clear and there was a steady stream of winch and Aero tow launches looking for wave.
The conditions were unusual with the outside air temp at 3000ft 8 deg c, and at 6000ft 15 deg c with the wave locally petering out at 7000ft.
All pilots contacted the wave achieving heights of over 6000ft, with notable achievements from Caleb McKinstry who reached 7000ft and Martin Hayward who flew the DG500 GBZ solo reaching over 6000ft on their first solo wave flights.
Picture shows The evening sky as we left the airfield.
Portmoak So Far
All 11 pilots and aircraft arrived safely and by Saturday evening and most got their paperwork signed ready for the week.
Sunday was forecast for rain in the morning, the forecast was correct and the airspace and weather briefing was well attended in the morning. The weather cleared lunch time and all the visiting gliders were rigged and enjoyed an afternoon on the ridge and very fickle weak wave.
Monday was forecast to wave with the winds strengthening in the afternoon, all except one launched in the morning and the wave worked, unfortunately the gaps kept filling in so 8000ft was the most we could get.
Saturday 21st September
What a great day, despite the fog to start and low cloud which gave us a rest at lunchtime, our first 10 UWE students had a great time and were kept busy by the duty team ably assisted by Jonathan Apperley and our new CFI Elliott Apperley. Other club members also helped out with running the launch point and a few of them flew. Chris Ashworth flew the two one-day courses. Thanks to Fran who is expecting another load of "First flights" tomorrow too, and anyone else I have missed!
winds 060/05 good visibility.
Interesting NOTAM for Kemble,
L6982/18: Kemble: Aerodrome : miscellaneous plain language
FROM: 12 Oct 2018 13:46 GMT (14:46 BST) TO: 19 Oct 2018 16:00 GMT (17:00 BS
Soaring possibilities today.
Another great day.
Barrie Taylor joined us for the day and had a currency flight in the K23. Lesley popped in for a cuppa and chat, the LS3 and ventus ct came out for an airing, and the lawnmower came out to trim the grass.
Some fun flying for the course, with loops chandelles and cloud recovery practice.
A good area of grass was cut today, now it is getting cooler we hope the grass will stop growing so quickly.
The day ended with dinner and some red wine at the old Lodge. After all the Kemble restaurant was not available.
The pictures show david on sandwich making duties, the tractor off to the launchpoint, and a flight above the clouds.
17 October gosh thats a lot of batteries
light northerly winds. cloud bases rising to 3000ft. Very little thermal activity.
Good to see the regular club members here and welcome to our visitor Ben from Nympsfield.
The first decent day for course member Phil May who managed some excellent flights from start to finish. Lawrence and Collin were perfecting more advanced handling exercises.
Roger and Pat looked after the steady stream of club members, a very pleasant and chilled day at the launch point.
The picture shows Collin checking over the electric buggies batteries, doing the routing check before topping up with distilled water.
Dinner was an eclectic mix of contributions including triple chocolate ice cream produced by David Hart---delicious.
16 October Foggy start
winds 200/15 with fog to start and low cloud for most of the day.
The K21 has now had a polish and looks a lot better for it. Thanks to Collin, Lawrence and Ethan for your efforts here.
The flying incorporated launch failures and eventually circuits learning how to interpret a turn and slip and how an ASI may be used as a crude attitude indicator. At least we got the annual refreshers completed and had some fun---despite the weather.
The day finished with a debrief on the instrument flying and then a glass of wine and dinner in the club room. Another great day
15 October 2018
Low cloud and NE winds today with some drizzle.
Welcome to Collin Boden, Lawrence Wood and Phil May on the last course of 2018.
Ethan has joined us for a few days to assist at the launchpoint, good to see you.
Lecture this morning was on instrument flying, the way to use them and how to get yourself out of trouble if you do inadvertently enter cloud with a limited panel.
Thanks everyone for the time spent housekeeping the gliders. The untidy patchwork of electrical tape on the K21 canopy has now been removed and the club gliders have freshly polished canopies---much better.
The lecture in the afternoon was on ridge soaring and the Cotswold edge.
Sunday 14th October - no flying today
Morning, looking out the window and at the various met websites we can expect the current rain to persist until at least 1500 when it will go to showers.
There is not really any hope of good flying today so flying is cancelled. Enjoy your Sunday, maybe a lie in or quiet coffee somewhere...
Flying, Saturday 13th October 2018.
In case you're in any doubt, and after several hours sitting in the wind-swept Clubhouse, Robin and I have given up any hope of flying today. The wind-gauge was regularly showing 30+ knots, and the gust forecast was for gusts of 40-50mph. Actually, we cancelled the two one-day courses yesterday based on the forecast. Maybe conditions will have moderated by tomorrow afternoon.
12 October windy
Forecast winds 190/50 with rain.
Not a good day to go flying.
11 October, the winds finally stopped us.
winds 170/25 good visibility and occasional rain showers
Flying started with the launchpoint a long way down the runway to ensure cables drop clear of buildings etc. A very awkward direction. Initially the winds were quite light and not a problem for flying. As the morning progressed, the winds reached a limit and we were forced to stop.
meanwhile Nigel Payne flew the ASW19 for the first time and Matthew Veals converted to the K23.
After lunch briefings were on instrument flying followed by a talk on Mcready. Course dinner was at the Old Lodge, Fish and chips seemed to be the favourite choice, and a beer of course.
The outlook for Friday is grim, with strong winds and rain, oh well the first 4 days were good.